2013: Violation of Board Ethics
The board is responsible for enforcing the code of ethics of its members. If any member of the board commits a serious or repeated violation of the code, the board may take any of the following steps:
- The board president may confer with the board member who has violated the code of ethics in order to:
- Identify the provision of the code that the member has violated;
- Propose how the member can remedy the violation;
- If the board member who violated the code is the board president, the vice president is empowered to confer with the president about the violation.
- The board may enter executive session during a regular meeting to confront the offending board member.
- The board may enter executive session when necessary to prevent needless injury to the reputation of the offending board member.
- During the executive session, board members will identify the provision of the code that has been violated and propose how the member can remedy the violation.
- The board may invite its attorney to participate in an executive session regarding a breach of board ethics.
- The board may vote to publicly censure any board member who commits a serious or repeated violation of the code. The board will pass a censure motion to inform the community that an individual member of the board is not fulfilling the responsibilities for which he or she was elected.
Adopted on: April 14, 2008
Revised on: February 12, 2018
Reviewed on: April 11, 2011
Reviewed on: April 12, 2021