5070 - Crisis Response Policy
- The following objectives apply to dealing with a crisis situation:
- Ensuring the safety and emotional security of students.
- Formulating a plan of action immediately that provides uniformity in the treatment of each crisis.
- Identifying those students and staff who will likely be most strongly affected by grief.
- Preserving, to the extent possible, the daily routine of the program and pre-scheduled activities so as not to draw others into deeper levels of grief than they would normally experience.
- Monitoring students' progress through the stages of the grief process.
- Making the service unit's resources available to parents and guardians who become concerned about their child's reaction to a crisis.
- School Hours
- During a crisis situation, the administration will maintain established program hours and proceed with all activities as scheduled whenever possible.
- If, during a crisis situation, the parent(s) or guardian of a student decide that the student needs to be absent, this absence will be excused.
- Access to Service Unit Facilities
- The facilities owned or operated by ESU 4 may not be used for funeral or memorial services during instructional hours.
- This policy does not discourage the presentation of traditional American Legion memorial services which promote patriotism.
- Memorials often create a visual reminder of a particular crisis that may reintroduce feelings of grief for students. Therefore, memorials may not be displayed anywhere on premises owned or operated by ESU 4 without board approval.
- School Hours
This policy is not intended to discourage the acceptance of memorial funds or specific items.
Adopted on: June 8, 2009
Revised on: _________________________
Reviewed on: October 8, 2012